Water damage and flooding tips
Southern California has been hit with heavy rainfall the past few weeks, which may have caused water damage in your North Pomona/La Verne home. We would like to give you some tips to look over before we arrive as safety is our main priority.
After any water damage situation it is important to follow these four steps:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Electrical and ‘slip and fall’ hazards are some of the most prevalent concerns.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
- We materials can be very heavy. Be Careful!
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet and keep out of rooms if the ceilings are starting to sag.